Monthly Archives: May 2012


Mel C. Orchard of The Spence Law Firm, LLC, on behalf of an Afton couple, has filed a civil lawsuit against Grand Targhee Resort and Action Integrated Management after their son was improperly secured to a zip line before he fell 25 feet to the ground. The young boy was one of 17 middle school students attending a summer program at Grand Targhee Resort in 2008.

According to the complaint, the employee who took the reservation neglected to properly record it or to notify Action Integrated Management that there was a group intending to use the course. As a result, when the group arrived there were not enough people to operate the course.  A resort employee improperly pressured an Action Integrated Management staff member to allow an untrained resort employee to work the zip line. The untrained resort employee failed to “properly and safely” secure the boy, and he fell … Read more


North Dakota is changing. The Bakken Oil boom has created an influx of jobs in oil drilling and the construction industry. The increase of activity in these industries also leads to an increase of workplace injuries and fatalities, bringing North Dakota to the No. 5 most dangerous state in the nation for workers.

On April 25, 2012 The Bureau of Labor Statistics released new findings from the 2010 census of fatal occupational injuries. According to this report, North Dakota was 1 out of 28 states that saw an increase in fatal workplace injuries in 2010. For more information on fatal occupational injuries in the United States, please see http://www.bls.gov/iif/oshwc/cfoi/worker_memorial.htm.

The Spence Law Firm and SAFER continue to monitor these developments and fight for enhanced worker safety laws.  For more information, contact us at 800-967-2117.… Read more


Tyson E. Logan, of The Spence Law Firm, LLC, has filed a federal lawsuit on behalf of a Casper woman who was poisoned by carbon monoxide gas in her apartment as she slept.  The suit alleges the woman suffered a traumatic brain injury in her apartment when the furnace or the ventilation system leaked.  Firefighters and investigators that responded to the scene found carbon monoxide levels of 500 parts per million inside the Casper apartment.  The exposure to the carbon monoxide caused the woman a permanent traumatic brain injury.

According to the complaint, the apartment complex owners or management knew the furnaces were in need of repair or replacement, and at least one had leaked carbon monoxide in dangerous levels less than a year before the woman was poisoned.  The suit alleges that despite such knowledge, the defendants, in reckless disregard for the safety of the tenants, did nothing to

Read more


On April 27th, several dozen workers, citizens, advocates, clergy members and public officials gathered in Casper to observe Workers Memorial Day.  The event was part of a national effort to fulfill the promise of a safe workplace for all and pay tribute to those who lost their lives while working.

The statistics are sobering.  Between 1992 and 2009 there were 622 workplace fatalities in Wyoming, an average of one death every ten days.

Workers Memorial Day presents an opportunity to step back from statistics, data, fatality rates and epidemiological studies in order to honor those who have perished and listen to the stories of their survivors.  We heard one of those stories Friday.

On Feb. 19, 2007, C.J. Moss was electrocuted while working on a drilling rig.  He was 26 years old.  C.J. was survived by his wife, Natalie Moss, and their four-year-old son.  Mrs. Moss spoke to … Read more